“I wonder how much of what weighs me down
is not mine to carry.”
Over the weekend, my home country Ireland made headline news because of the result in a referendum on a difficult and emotional subject.
As I looked at the statistics from the voting centres yesterday, one very clear trend emerged.
The younger you were the higher the % vote for the Yes vote.
And with each subsequent age category that % dropped slightly until it got to the Over-65s in which there was a slight majority % of No.
1. Younger minds see things differently.
2. The world has changed radically over the past 30 years and Ireland has voted to change with it.
I see a parallel with us as people and as organisations.
Often in business and life, we are holding on to old mindsets, viewpoints, and unspoken rules – usually we have inherited these or forgotten that they were there, guiding and shaping our every move and decision.
I think it’s useful do a vetting on yourself and your organisation every now and then – and then running a ‘Referendum’ if needs be, to decide on what needs to be change in your own Constitution i.e. your operating principles.
Asking questions is a good start. For example:
- What are the results we are looking to create now?
- What is true for me/us now?
- Is how we’re working and living consistent with our core values?
- Why do I/we want what I want?
- Why am I/are we doing this work/project?
Most people I encounter are carrying things that serve them no longer e.g. unreasonable personal expectations, goals set from a previous time, unconscious parental advice, practices that don’t suit the reality of now.
This week might be a good time to do an ‘Inner Referendum’ and see what you and perhaps the people around you need to vote on and change.
Food for thought.
ps – Having a younger mind doesn’t have to relate to your age. Some of the youngest mindset people I know are over 65!
Online Academy: Achieve more clarity, excel in your personal and professional development with some of my online courses and talks. Learn at your own pace from anywhere. More details here.
- State Of Mind: Improve The Key To Better Results In Busines And Life
- Thrive: How To Do It In A World That’s Changing Faster Than Ever
- BluePrint Online : Improve your Purpose, Clarity and Focus
My Blog – The Eye Of The Storm: http://shanecradock.com/blog/
Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/in/