Here’s your shot of weekly inspiration:
“Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.“
Now to the above quote, some people might say ‘What do you mean? I’m thinking all of the time. In fact, my problem is that I can’t stop thinking!’
But for most, thinking means having similar thoughts on a loop and even though it’s a different day, it’s pretty much the same thoughts.
Research seems to back this up as neuro-scientists have shown that we’re at least 95% unconscious in our day to day living. REAL thinking requires you to stop, step back and ask yourself questions. Great questions will get great answers – if you’re prepared to be brutally honest with yourself.
So, in this context, what’s the 1 thing you can do to transform your business & life?
A: Take 1 hour out on a Friday afternoon to ‘really think’.
To me, this is what that means:
– An immoveable meeting with myself every Friday afternoon
– Phone and email off during this time
– First, review the week that was to see how it went, log the lessons learned and see if your priorities have changed.
– Second, clarify all of my priorities for the week ahead (ideally based on my annual, quarterly and monthly goals)
– Third, ask questions of myself to get insights. For example:
– What skill do I need to work on?
– Who do I need to speak to this week?
– What is my number 1 priority this week?
– What can I delegate this week?
– What is the one thing I could do this week that would have the biggest impact on my business or life?
– Fourth, based on the above, block off time in my diary/calendar for my priority areas.
Dan Sullivan, founder of The Strategic Coach, says that 1 hour of strategic thinking time will save you 10 hours of reactive time.
Try it out and see if it works for you. If it’s even partly true, you will end up with a great return for your time.
Food for thought,
Have a great week,