“Reality is what we take to be true. What we take to be true is what we believe.
What we believe is based upon our perceptions.
What we perceive depends upon what we look for.
What we look for depends upon what we think.
What we think depends upon what we perceive.
What we perceive depends upon what we believe.
What we believe determines what we take to be true.
What we take to be true is our reality.”
– David Bohm
This quote by the American scientist, who has been described as one of the most significant theoretical physicists of the 20th century, is profound and worth re-reading many, many times. When I first read it, it stopped me in my tracks.
In essence it is saying that reality, or what we perceive as reality, is completely made up – by our minds.
So for example…
- The person you hold a grudge against or are worried about…
- The mindset you have towards your job/business…or indeed your life
- The quality of your closest relationships…
- How much you think you can sell…
- What you can and cannot do…
- The way you think you are…
- The self-belief you have in yourself…
- The amount of doubt you have…
Bohm is saying that all of these things, all of them…we are making up. Yet, made up or not, we have to agree that they all have very real consequences to our behaviour and actions.
In many cases, our perceptions can damage our careers, health and relationships – even though we believe we are ‘right’. Or those same perceptions can lift us up to unimagined heights of flow, enjoyment and happiness.
2 questions to consider for this week:
1. Think about something you’re not happy with. Can you be 100% sure that what you think is true, really is? 100% sure?
2. Think about something you’d love to make progress on. What can you experiment in relation to your thinking that would create a reality you enjoy more?
PS – If you’d like to explore deeper in this area, and challenge your own perceptions around what’s possible in your life, consider joining me for my new 3 day program, Sustainable High Performance. Details and registration here. Limited Places.
Podcast: New episode out today – The Best Success System. Listen on my website or on all major podcast platforms.
E-Book: Get Your Free Copy Of My E-Book, ’21 Questions For A Great 2021‘ here.
Do you know someone who would benefit from reading this? Feel free to share it with them. To make this super simple, I’ve included some share buttons a little further down this page.