“You may never know what results come from your action.
But if you do nothing, there will be no result.”
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
I was sitting with a smart, ambitious female executive a few years ago helping her to set goals for her work and life for the year ahead.
To me it’s essential to strive for balanced goals as often I meet people who are lop-sided in their focus.
But there was hesitation on something in her personal life.
When we dug into it, she realised that there was a limiting belief affecting her view of being able to achieve something important to her.
If we hadn’t picked it up, it probably would have derailed everything else in her life, because it involved core relationships with the people that mattered most.
This time of year is renowned for setting goals and new year resolutions. But research has shown that the older people get, the less they set goals or resolutions.
I wonder could this be because of accepting limiting beliefs, such as:
- ‘I couldn’t do it before so I can’t now’
- ‘I’m too old’
- ‘It’s too late’
- ‘Maybe I’ll fail.’
- ‘I’m just jinxed in this area’
A belief is just an opinion on reality.
But it’s rarely reality, which means it can be changed.
Here’s a challenge:
1. Set some challenging goals for 2018, ones that you don’t know how to achieve – Set goals across the key areas of your life: Health, Career, Relationships, Purpose, Spiritual, Learning
2. For each area, write out your beliefs
3. Note for each belief if it’s A. Dis-Empowering or B.Empowering
4. If it’s A., decide on an empowering version you want to build and begin to integrate into your days. Success at the business of living is all about growing empowering beliefs because they determine our behaviour and actions.
The woman in question went on to grow a new belief and as a result new behaviour and results in an area she thought she was bad at. Now she watches for limiting beliefs all of the time.
If you’re interested in achieving more of what you really want, it’s something we all need to do.
ps – Identifying and changing beliefs will be one of the many exercises I’ll be doing at my unique 1 day workshop, BluePrint Business, in Dublin on 19th January.
Attend The BluePrint Business Workshop:
Designed for business owners, CEOs and self-employed people this unique workshop helps you to step back and look at your direction and what matters most over the next 3 years. It also includes tools to focus you on the next 12 months. Runs 19th January in Dublin.
Limited places – Spend time in an inspiring environment as you plan for a great year ahead. Details and booking here.