“We’re so busy watching out for what’s just ahead of us
that we don’t take time to enjoy where we are.”
– Calvin & Hobbes
Someone shared the image above with me recently and I thought I’d share it with you today.
It captures perfectly 2 challenges we all have…
1. We can forget where we have come from and how much we have grown. And often this can damage our ability to really appreciate where and indeed who we are now – which ultimately hinders our ability to climb the ladder…
2. We can be so focused on the climb that we miss what’s happening around us or indeed end up ignoring vital elements of our life, like our health and personal relationships.
Here are some things that strike me as food for thought…
- The ladder step you’re on should not determine the level of happiness you’re experiencing
- Our job is to make sure the ladder is against the right wall…
- There is a career ladder but the ladder of life never stops going up i.e. there is no ‘top’
- Climbing the ladder is always optional but it should always be fun
- The higher I am on the ladder of my own self-mastery the more perspective I have
- It’s important to get off the ladder every now and then…
- There is always a next step – but there is only one now.
Maybe something else strikes you?
Either way, I hope you get off the ‘ladder’ for Christmas and take some time-out to make space for the deeper parts of life.
It’s been a pleasure yet again writing emails this year. Thank you for the encouragement and the kind replies.
Believe it or not, I started this weekly email lark in 2008! I didn’t realise then that I’d be climbing a ladder all the way to 2021. 🙂
Wishing you the very best,
P.S. – Thanks to Paul Mc for sharing the image.
Publish blog and include line: Do you know someone who would benefit from reading this? Feel free to share it with them. To make this super simple, I’ve included some share buttons a little further down this page.
The Inner Edge Podcast: Short thought provoking content available on all major podcasting platforms, or listen on my website here. New episode out today: Creating Winning Luck
Online Courses & Recordings: I have a range of online courses and workshops you can do in your own time and some you can participate in live. Access here.
MindShift: The next program starts 23rd February. If you’ve thought about it before, maybe now is the time? An early bird fee is available until 7th January. Details and registration here.
3 Day Leaders’ Retreat: 2022 applications are now open for The Thrive Experience, my unique retreat for CEOs, business owners and investors You can register your interest for the 2022 event here.
***Watch out for a new retreat for senior and C-Suite executives, launching in January